nil in SuspendedDelays???

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 09:08:33 UTC 2006

On 2/2/06, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> BTW, you wouldn't kill a process *while* it is trying to execute
> SortedCollection>>add: would you?

I wouldn't know, of course, but yes, it could happen. Thanks for
pointing it out.

We do lots of network searches, which are sent into the network, and
then a process sleeps for a while and shuts down the search. If the
search gives results, the process is terminated. Conceivably, this
could happen while the process is being scheduled. Unlikely, but
possible.

Shouldn't this whole Delay>>schedule thing maybe be done in an
un-preemteable block? Or is this something we would need to solve on
our application level?

> And I agree with your
> analysis that something must be signaling the mutex twice but I will
> point out that one of the processes was the wx event loop which may very
> well be invoked via unlikely places (if I remember the discussion with
> Rob then he had serious problems getting wx to work asynchronously).

Yup. I'm still not 100% convinced that we can't have a situation like
two native threads going into the VM at the same time, but that is
probably mostly ignorance.