Remove Changes/Sources files in end-user distribution

Fournier Eric emf at umn.edu
Thu Feb 2 20:29:26 UTC 2006

I have located in class FileDirectory (and, IMO, the wrongest place
for this to be) the spot where Squeak complains if the Changes and
Sources files are missing/unreadable/unwritable. To trim down my end-
user distribution, I'd like to silence the complaints and not include
these files (my user base will not be accessing Squeak in such a way
that these files will be beneficial to them).

I did a couple of class-recompilation tests, which seem to work fine.

The question is: can I get away with not including either of these
files in an installation where some classes/methods will be re-
compiled via update streams? Is there some hidden necessity to having
these two files present in the installation?

Eric Fournier
University Technology Development Center
University of Minnesota Office of Information Technology
emf at umn.edu