[Off Topic] Google and fair access to information

Eric Goebelbecker eric at ominor.net
Fri Feb 3 15:07:52 UTC 2006

I'm guessing you don't trust Yahoo, AOL or MSN either right? Google is
fighting a supoena from the US government for search engines records.
The fact that Yahoo, AOL and MSN have already complied is footnote is
some news stories, and not even mentioned in most. Where's the outcry
against them? How many other supoenas have they decided to not fight?
Why are more people worried about internet freedom in China than they
are outside of it?

IMO, Google made a choice in a no-win situation. If they did not agree
to censorship, Google would still be blocked. Now it is not, and the
Chinese people are getting more info than they did before.

On 2/3/06, Juan Vuletich <jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar> wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I apologize for being so off topic, but I hope this is important for you.
>
> Please check http://images.google.com/images?q=tiananmen+square and compare
> with http://images.google.cn/images?q=tiananmen+square .
>
> I am worried. I thought we could trust google.
>
> Regards,
> Juan Vuletich

"Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect."  - Steven Wright

Eric Goebelbecker
eric at ominor.net
http://eric.ominor.net