parallel port access on Linux

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Feb 3 19:22:41 UTC 2006

I was easily able to use the parallel port from Squeak in Windows with
the DLL and change set from the IOST package at
http://www.smalltalking.net/Goodies/Squeak/

Some people, however, are asking for my help getting this to work on a
Linux machine. There was a thread here in April 15 of last year with
some code posted by Thimon and there have been similar threads in the
past including some advice by Ned Konz. Since there are many
alternatives, all require at least some work and none which is obvious
superior to the others, it would be great if people could share their
experiences and/or insights about this.

-- Jecel