mac carbon VM goes to unix file names, testers needed

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Feb 3 22:28:31 UTC 2006

After much thought (years?) I've converted the mac carbon VM to unix
path names by burning up a few sleepless nights, this assists in the
pending MacIntel port
and can be done before that happens. Since this is my fourth attempt
at working the multiple aliased file paths it was a chance to rewrite
that entire piece of logic
into something much smaller and  nicer.

So I need a few beta testers to confirm this all works. Interested
parties should email me and I'll send them a VM, also people willing
to compile and cross-check the c code for
issues are welcome.  Although the task sounds simple, open an image,
open a file, delete a file, navigate to a directory, create a
directory, delete a directory it's actually more complex because of
all the other things you can do:

At application startup

a) We load an image based on command line startup
b) We load an image based on XML specification
c) We load an image from the bundle resource folder, using XML
specification for name if needbe
d) We load an image based on AppleEvent open application (the default
from XML specification00
e) We load an image in another application based on the open document
request to a running VM.
f)  We load an image based on doubling clicking an image with no VM
running

This should work on a folder name with unicode characters (accented
or Japanese), and with a
path with say three levels of alias indirection which normally
defeats the casual implementation of alias resolving.
This of course is an interesting place because normalization of
unicode must occur between mac roman and utf-8 and hfs+ volume needs,
plus
we do multiple aliases resolutions.

Other things
Navigation in the file list to a folder/file in an interesting place
with three levels of folder alias indirection plus unicode characters.
Operations like read/write on a file, or creating or deleting the
file in interesting places.
Confirm file information for aliases files in navigation window is
correct.
Operations like deleting or creating a folder  or an using/deleting
an aliased folder.
{I'll note we need to resolve how deleting an aliased folder works,
does that mean delete the target folder or just the alias?}

Drag and drop of files from interesting places. (indirection aliases)
folder)  and perhaps as an alias (not tested)
resolving the download folder via the internet config plugin (not
tested)
resolving the secure and unsecure pathnames in the security plugin
setting and getting the finder creator and type codes for a file
Switching to UTF-8 verses mac roman for internal vmpath support  for
all of above (not tested ).

As you can see there is a lot of work to cross check all these
features work, and perhaps ones I've not thought of.

Pending is a rework of the mpeg plugin to use the VM file name
translation api to make a proper file name for opening,
that also applies to some other special purpose plugins we have.

===