parallel port access on Linux

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Feb 4 00:15:05 UTC 2006

Samir Saidani wrote on Sat, 04 Feb 2006 00:07:13 +0100
> Check the section SqueakBot-Hardware
> (http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakBot as mentionned by Serge) which
> implements the parallel port access under linux and windows
> (ParallelPortUnix and ParallelPortWin). We should extract this part of
> squeakbot and make a release of it since it would be of interest for
> general use, so if you have some times, feel free to build a parallel
> port squeakmap package with all these materials !

This is all included in the image/changes I had downloaded from the page
Serge indicated.

> You will also need the tarball containing the C code (in fact, it
> should be translated in a squeaky fashion as a ParallelPortPlugin
> class which would avoid to distribute the tarball).

I found it attached to an email to this list from April 15 of 2005.
After getting the needed uncompression tool (Gentoo has a wider
selection of tools than RiscOS ;-) and compiling it, copying the .so
file to where the squeak binary is I still get the same result. Given
that this is via FFI shouldn't the unmodified VM be able to load this?

> All this work is already tested ok both for linux and windows
> (IOSTSqueak needed for windows)...

Great!

> [parallelplugin.tgz]

Ah - thanks for sending this again. I hadn't noticed it until I was
replying to you (Celeste is a bit too subtle sometimes).

-- Jecel