Truncation and round off

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 03:09:23 UTC 2006

Hi Stef,

Its currently a work in progress. More study. More
analysis and code tracing.

I was very pleased when I found this simply because
its a good bug find. So I posted it to mantis along
with others that deal with the same can of worms.

Squeak actually has two different types of rounding
problems. This one and then a general tendency for
people to prematurely round SOURCE rectangles. Since
these are deep in the guts of what lets squeak draw,
caution is called for.

The user story I've be working on is that Morphs
should be beautiful and as their creator intended them
to look; draw themselves fully and stably and not
leave glitches when they move.

For this one the solution lies in using floor and
ceiling and what I call encompassed and compressed on
rectangles. Or maybe as Andreas mentioned focusing on
the extent point of the rectangle. The question is in
the code where is it appropriate to use which method.

If the opprotunity of the other post hadn't come up, I
would have waited before posting this to squeakdev.

I encourage and brave bug trackers who look into this
to post their findings to the mantis list.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-

>> February/100365.htmlnicolas
>>

>> nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com wrote
>> Sun Feb 5 02:00:17 CET 2006
>>
>> at length about truncation and roundoff libraries
and
>> that squeak's is incomplete compared with others.
>>
>> I'd like to add that this incompleteness is part of
>> problem morphic has in displaying graphics. See:
>>
>> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=2453
>>
>> Summary		0002453:
>> [Bugs] What is the extent of a truncated rectangle?
>>
>> The basic problem was that truncation and rounding
did
>> not mix well with rectangles. Particularly when
>> rectangels were mixing with rendering
Transformation
>> morphs.
>>
>> Part of the solution would be to have more choices
>> particular ceiling and floor options for rectangles
>> (an by extention Points.) I was headed in that
>> direction as  I attempted fixes to the errors. If a
>> set of vocabularies exist that would also make
squeak
>> more compatable with other smalltalks and we have
all
>> the necessary permissions to include them. Then I
say