An interesting presentation and discussion

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Feb 6 16:39:37 UTC 2006

goran at krampe.se wrote:
> The presentation is from a game developer and was quite interesting to
> look through (the slides are pretty self explanatory). It would be very
> interesting to hear the reactions on these issues from a Squeak
> perspective - like what do the Croqueteers say and what do you say
> Bryce?

We contacted Tim Sweeney and he replied pointing out that "There is
actually a great deal of (non-syntactic) SmallTalk heritage in the
Unreal engine, including an extensive metaclass framework I wrote back
in 1996 after reading a book on SmallTalk.  The metaclass data is used
to automate persistence (loading/saving game levels), synchronizing
objects in client/server multiplayer play, and exposing object
attributes to designers in the user interface."

Cheers,
   - Andreas