An interesting presentation and discussion

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Feb 6 18:07:01 UTC 2006

On 06.02.2006, at 17:39, Andreas Raab wrote:

> goran at krampe.se wrote:
>> The presentation is from a game developer and was quite
>> interesting to
>> look through (the slides are pretty self explanatory). It would be
>> very
>> interesting to hear the reactions on these issues from a Squeak
>> perspective - like what do the Croqueteers say and what do you say
>> Bryce?
>
> We contacted Tim Sweeney and he replied pointing out that "There is
> actually a great deal of (non-syntactic) SmallTalk heritage in the
> Unreal engine, including an extensive metaclass framework I wrote
> back in 1996 after reading a book on SmallTalk.  The metaclass data
> is used to automate persistence (loading/saving game levels),
> synchronizing objects in client/server multiplayer play, and
> exposing object attributes to designers in the user interface."

Which means that his design is actually much more powerful then that
of Smalltalk... we do have meta classes, but they are not really
usefull. e.g., we can't
enable persistence through changing the metaclass of a class. A
better meta-layer in Squeak would be really nice to have... but quite
hard to do really right.

     Marcus