Squeak running as windows service behaves differently

Vaidotas Didžbalis vaidasd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:30:39 UTC 2006

Hello,
Maybe someone more experienced with windows vm could explain why
squeak.exe eats 100% of CPU when Squeak is run as windows service.
Same script runs without problems in normal mode. Digging in the past
I found John M McIntosh guess about the reason of this problem:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-September/082280.html
but problem seems to be platforms specific and I'm not experienced
changing VM. Has anyone else been bitted by this since? Should I try
another sockets implementation / image (e.g. squeakland) / VM?

Details:
We work on bridge that accepts SOAP request from Oracle and executes
com-method via dot-net bridge. Dot net bridge uses separate exe to
communicate with .NET. Squeak uses sockets to communicate with that
process. All is fine until I run squeak as a service. When service
started, after third of such a call squeak.exe eats CPU 99%-100%.
While squeak remains responsive (accepts SOAP calls), tallying CPU
usage when CPU is 100% with ProcessBrowser tallyCPUUsageFor: 10 shows
nothing: 1 % is taken by UI, and rest is taken by idle process.

Squeak 3.8, VM 3.7.1, Windows 2000 workstation, service pack 4.
p.s
Squeak as a service did test 4-5 times slower :(. I wonder why.

Thank you,
--
Vaidotas Didžbalis