An interesting presentation and discussion

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Feb 7 10:05:43 UTC 2006

On 07.02.2006, at 09:35, goran at krampe.se wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> "Nicholas Bennett" <nicholasjbennett at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it just me or does the "horizontal subclassing" Tim is looking for
>> (allowing one to extend an existing framework (like the licensed
>> Unreal
>> Engine code) by adding some 'cluster' of members to some high
>> level class
>> that is deep in the engine) sound a lot like Traits?
>> regards,
>> nicholas
>
> I admit thinking in that direction too. But I do wonder if such a
> level
> of extension can be made and still be able to follow new versions
> of the
> base library. It doesn't seem to me that Traits solves that issue - it
> only seems to offer a mechanism for more advanced extensions without
> touching the source. The coupling would probably be "as bad". At least
> that is my guess.

The work on ClassBoxes (and combining ClassBoxes with traits) that Alex
did seems to go a little bit in that direction:

    http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Classboxes/

At least, the extensions of (or the Traits that extend) a foreign
class are defined
as part of the Module (ClassBox) that intends to use the extension.

     Marcus