How to? DoubleArray

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Fri Feb 10 00:39:46 UTC 2006

  Nicolas,

> Anyone implemented a DoubleArray ?
> (Array with IEEE 754 double precision 64 bits floats)

  As far as I know, the answer is "not yet".  (I wouldn't be surprized
that somebody have done it, though.)

> If not, how  to declare such a class ? byteArray, wordArray ?
> I did not see a doubleWordArray...
> How to convert one element to a Float and vice versa ?

  I would go with a subclass of ArrayedCollection.  Look at
ShortIntegerArray, for example.  It is "opposite" of what you would
like to do (two 16-bit quantities in one 32-bit word), but together
with FloatArray implementation, it should give you a sense of what is
needed.

> I did not see anything about endianness conversion. where is it ?
> Or Is squeak only for little endian machines ?

  Of course, it runs on both endianness.  Look at the
ShortIntegerArray, and other classes that implement
#restoreEndianness.

-- Yoshiki

  I happened to have implemented a whole set of vector operations
primitives, and a syntax tree transformer whose output utilizes such
primitives, even if there is a ifTrue:ifFalse: messages.