Handling dependencies with MC

Samir Saidani saidani at squeakfr.org
Mon Feb 20 16:39:30 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've just discovered something with MC I didn't understand the first
time, so it could be interesting for others to understand that...

Let's start with this convention: A depends on B

A (version)
|_B (version)

A* : modified package.

Here is a use case:

A (1)
|_B (1)

A (1)
|_B * (1) (B modified)

With MC, we have to save A first to handle correctly the
dependencies. The first time, I saved B thinking that A will update
itself correctly. Here is an explanation from Avi:

> [Avi Bryant] June 22, 2004 21:08:09 EDT

> Neat. That's precisely the solution I came up with for Monticello as
> well. But if you'll forgive my ignorance of Store: how do prereqs
> between packages work? Does a package have another package as a
> prereq, or a version another version, or a version another package,
> or... ? So, for example: package A depends on B. I save version 1 of
> A, when I have version 1 of B loaded. Later I save a version 2 of
> B. If someone else tries to load version 1 of A, which B do they get?

> In Monticello dependencies are currently very strict
> (version->version, so you would get B version 1 in the above
> case).

> This is good in some cases but really annoying in others, so
> I'm curious how "lineups" deal with it.

>From a ref given by stéphane about LineUp:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/travis/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3265388740

Cheers,