Celeste status

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Mon Feb 20 22:44:00 UTC 2006

goran at krampe.se wrote:
> I use it exclusively. An old trusty 3.2 image with bayesian filtering
> added. I have 94000 msgs in it.
And I was feeling bad because I was still using a 3.7-image! (Own dog
food etc.)  ;-)

> Actually, you can filter using "m textHas: 'X-Mailer: Celeste'" to find
> soul mates. Unfortunately we aren't many - I only found these during
> 2005:
Good idea. However, I believe that is one of those things for which the
current implementation is too slow given 175000 messages.

> Celeste 2.0..5989 Lex Spoon
> Celeste 2.0..6665 Wolfgang Helbig
> Celeste 2.0..6639 Jecel Assumpcao
> Celeste 2.0.4917 Göran Krampe
> Celeste 2.0..6719 Bernhard Pieber
Does that mean that Daniel has given up? What a pity! Better than
nothing, though! We can definitely build on that!

> I will keep using Celeste. But a real overhaul would be nice, perhaps
> with a Magma backend. :)
My short term goals are much more modest:
1. Make Celeste work again in 3.9. That means at least:
- Use StandardFileStream where appropriate.
- Fix the bug where a subject contains a CR which corrupts the index
file.
- Use 32 bits instead of 16 bits for the message ids in the category
file.
2. Find at least one fellow user who usese the same code base than me
and wants to stay there. ;-)
3. Find some people to discuss various Celeste design issues with.

Cheers,
Bernhard

P.S. By the way, are you aware of Mantis 2912?