Full image for 3.9? (was Re: Celeste status)

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Mon Feb 20 23:44:40 UTC 2006

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>  From alpha we will try to do two things:
>
> 	- have two full distributions:
> 			- one for educators (and we will need people to do this one
> because I'm afraid
> 			that we will not have the ressources to do it ourselves).
>
> 			- one for developers
> 			this one will contains:
> 				Smacc
> 				eCompletion
> 				shout
> 				RB (the engine not the ugly UI)
> 				OB
> 				Regexp
> 				(if people have other needs we can have a cool FullDev)
IMHO having only one full distribution would be less confusing and
probably also less work. I would use the full image as a demo image, so
it should contain all the cools stuff. The fuller the better. ;-)

> 	- have a basic one
> 		the goal here is to be able to have the smallest image in which
> 		other components can be loaded.
Now I am confused. I thought this was the Minimal image as described in
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3412.

> But again we are spending our time on that and everybody is welcome
> to HELP!
This is a good opportunity for me to thank all of you for your effort
and dedication! I appreciate it very much!
I don't want to make any promises but I try my best to make Celeste work
in 3.9 and fix some bugs. I put 2 days into that already, so you see I
am slow. (I would definitely like it to stay in the full release, of
course. ;-)

I am amazed how much progress was made while I was away. It is really,
really great that you finally managed to get Squeak on a Monticello
managed process! I am sure collaboration will be much easier that way.
Having said this, I find it very difficult to make a useful
contribution, if all I have is 30 minutes on an evening. At least in my
experience, I always bump into new problems. And before I have even
started, time is over. Sigh.

Cheers,
Bernhard