problem in porting from smalltalk

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 22:36:54 UTC 2006

nelson - writes:

 > Dear Peter,
 >    the problem is that i HAVE to impelement and: .... I have a fuzzyAnd:
 > method, but i want to be able to mix crisp and fuzzy value, so redefining
 > and: definition would be the best choice... can I disable this code
 > inlining?

You should definately be able to disable the and: inlining. I doubt
that everyone would be happy with such a change in the mainstream
image but it's definately reasonable for your personal images or for a
project that needs and: to behave like a proper method.

Poke around in the Compiler class, and save your image frequently.
Try exploring how the "special" instance variable on MessageNode is
used.

Hmm, yet another argument for full message inlining. But for now,
you'll loose performance, however the loss may not be noticable.

Bryce