1 day left for Squeak elections!

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Thu Feb 23 17:39:05 UTC 2006

Cees De Groot wrote:

>> his says to me that the community, although
>> small, cares about
>> leadership and where squeak is heading.
> Well... As a fraction of squeak-dev subscribers, we're at roughly
> 10%... Maybe I'm a pessimist (unlikely) or maybe my expectations are
> too high, but that's not really much. It's probably enough to declare
> a usable election result, but I really do hope that next year, we can
> make a leap to a substantially higher proportion of list subscribers
> (which, I think, is maybe half of the community of squeak developers -
> purely a guesstimate from the number of people I meet who are involved
> in various open source projects but don't subscribe to the
> accompanying mailing lists).

Ok.. let's look at this:
This is the first election.
10 candidates 7 positions
There are 343 registered voters.
Of that approx 35% have voted so far.

I say that's pretty good:
* for a first election
* there are 10 candidates. WOW! not 3 candidates and 7 positions. People
stepping up wanting to make a difference.
* where the campaign to bring in voters was small (did the reach go
beyond developer mailing lists? And, how many that are signed up to the
ML are really reading the messages?)
* all the bugs for signing up voters hasn't been worked out yet  (e.g.
even today Doug just sent a msg about email problems.)
* the presentation of candidates and their platform could be better. I
didn't see that every candidate presented their platform or even
introduced themselves. Not a reflection on the candidates, but a
reflection on the method... it's young.. taking baby steps..

Hey, I'm not really an optimist... but that sounds pretty good to me.

brad