Election results

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Fri Feb 24 11:50:37 UTC 2006

Hi all!

(this is a personal reflection)

"Brent Vukmer" <brent.vukmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> The voters have elected:
>
> Cees de Groot
> Marcus Denker
> Stephane Ducasse
> Bert Freudenberg
> Craig Latta
> Yoshiki Ohshima
> Tim Rowledge
>
> 157 votes were cast out of 347 authorized voters.  Detailed election
> results are at http://tinyurl.com/gp4yz
>
> Thanks candidates and voters.

Indeed. Ok, so we only got 347 voters and 45% voted. On one side it is
low (both numbers) and on the other side it is... well, it could be
worse. :)

The specific result?

Well, I am guessing that voters might have focused on technical
accomplishments (coding etc) in the Squeak community and perhaps
forgotten that the number one task for the board (at least as we have
considered it during this first year with establishing the Team model
and so on) is coordination, coordination, coordination.

And given that, I personally think that Ken has done a superb job - both
in various Teams with such duties (Janitors, Box admin etc) and during
the short time he was on the board before this election (he took over
keeping track of all Teams from me). Ken has also been a steady presence
on IRC guiding newbies (and Craig is regularly there too) and
synchronizing things with especially me and Cees.

So seeing Ken not among the first 7 is a bit "sad" given his dedication.
But then of course, the new board will set the "rules" for the game of
2006-2007 and who knows how it will be played - 7 members is not
something encarved in stone, and most of the Real Work is done in Teams
anyway which are open to all (given that the Team model is still used by
the new board of course).

Anyway, the way we will handle the "transfer" from the old board to the
new is that for a period of time both the old members and the new will
be on the board list together, and then the "drop outs" will be
unsubscribed (at least this is what I think we should do).

In practice this means Craig, Tim, Yoshiki and Bert joins the list now
and later me, Doug, Ken and Noury drops out of it.

During this short period I am foreseeing some discussion about how the
board has worked and how it *will* work for the next year.

Again, I repeat - this is a *personal* reflection email from me - not
from the old nor the new board. :)

regards, Göran