Election results

Peter Crowther Peter at ozzard.org
Mon Feb 27 19:12:15 UTC 2006

> From: Cees De Groot
> All: please spout your dissatisfaction with the elections here.

Speaking entirely personally here, rather than as an election team
member...

1) The election process was rushed at the end.

2) Candidates were very reticent to come forward with their views.

> Agreed. I'd like the retired members to form a sort of advisory
> council, chiming in whenever asked or whenever they feel it's
> necessary. How exactly this will take shape, we'll need to see (for
> starters, the new emeritii need to accept the position ;-))

Co-opting useful people onto committees has a long and distinguished
history.  If it is done for the SqF board, then in my view:

- The people should be fully engaged with the board at all times, not a
parallel board;

- The board discussions should be open, to avoid any suggestion of
favour, nepotism and so on;

- The co-opted people should not have voting rights for the same reason.

There were some unpleasant scenes at a standards body a couple of years
ago when invited experts were given votes on a working group and forced
through a major change to a standard.

		- Peter