Steward teams

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Mon Jan 2 07:49:32 UTC 2006

Hi people!

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Cees -
>
> I think there are some areas where this can work but you have to be
> careful to group the right things together. Like, for example, Morphic
> and MVC are inherently incompatible from my point of view, because they
> are so different and historically, people who have an interest in one
> tend to have not too much of an interest in the other. The "core class
> library" (whatever that may be) might make some more sense here.
>
> OTOH, why force the matter? If you think that Files and Network should
> be combined into a single team, you can propose that right now. There

And being the Network team leader I would not object to such a merge. :)
The areas do intersect quite a bit and are on the same conceptual level
(pro merge) and a merged team would still be specific enough to
hopefully work efficiently. Any arguments against such a merge?

> isn't really a need to make a top-down decision by saying "these are the
> teams and that's it". Also, I'm not sure I follow your concerns - it

I agree - no real need for a top-down decision. Hopefully it will sort
itself out and personally I have from the start argued for larger
packages that break themselves down when it seems suitable.

But I agree with Cees - we should not create "too small" teams just
because there happen to be some kind of PI structure in the image
fitting it. In other words - there is AFAIK no "preferred size" when it
comes to forming teams - if a larger team seems reasonable, go for that.

> seems to me that we really don't have quite enough experience to say
> what works and what doesn't, so maybe we should give the current setup a
> bit of time to see if it works out.

Agree with that too. :)

> So bottom line is that I think I'm neutral on the overall idea but I am
> strictly against forcing a decision top-down (like "defining" a UI team
> that consists of Morphic and MVC) since I think that this decision is
> best left to the people doing the work.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Agree.

So I agree with you both :). Let's form teams, large or small - lump
them together or split them apart - as we see fit.

regards, Göran