Help] How do I find out who has to sign off on ST80 change

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 17:26:05 UTC 2006

>[Help] How do I find out who has to sign off on ST80
change

What I believe we are discussing are the growing pains
of the new team system.

The background is that for the last year my major bug
fixes have be gathering dust because nobody had the
responsibility or authority to act on them. So running
into a bureaucratic tangle in getting them approved is
actually a step in the right direction..

My stuff is mostly morphic so I've been working on the
morphic team leader to approve it. The team leader
liked the work but didn't want to take responsibility
approving stuff in the collection or st80 classes (or
the graphic package either). So here I have one
important but small change set and I find I have to
track down and get permission from three team leaders.
 Daunting.

I wrote the request for help after I had looked hard
enough to find several different sources of out of
date stewart and harvesting information.
Even when I did stumble across a page on
www.squeak.org that had what looked like current
information and stewart names I couldn’t find what I
needed which was the mapping between the Class I
wanted to change CustomMenu and/or its package ST80
and the stewart I needed to contact to bless the
change.
neither typing
http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/ST80

or  pretend we have already figured out the PI for the
code at hand

will not actually work. The first gives:

Error
http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/ST80

Returned by server: No package found beginning with
name st80

and the second leads me to rather pretend I have a
squeak without bugs.

>From the rest of goran’s note I deduce that he is
trying to solve my problem while knowing too much.
My patron does not want me to know all this stuff
about package Info.
He would rather I have a web page at a known (to me)
location with up to date info that allows
me to map what I know (Class names and the associate
package name from the package browser)
onto who I’ve got to call (well email) to get the go
ahead my fixes need.

As you can see from the discussion thread no one to
date can give me that type of answer.

Making it worse is the clutter of still available
obsolete information; the innovation of new ways to do
thing; and the frequency of reorganizations. If I read
the other treads correctly who’s in charge of what and
how much hasn’t quite settled yet.  Growing pains.

>From my point of view the task is to
1) Fix things elegantly
2) Get the fixes  into the image.
3) With the least effort on the part of all concerned.

So the thing needing doing as far as signoffs and
permissions is:
1) Announce where to find the one page official source
of infomation.
2) Create it once.
3) Keep it up to date as the signoff process is
improved.

Each of these steps is doable with a minimum of
effort.

Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace

P.S. After consideration I got around my problem in
the change set by retracting some pieces and renaming
the catagories for ST80 stuff to *Morphic-...
extentions.

>[Help] How do I find out who has to sign off on ST80
changes?
>goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
>Mon Jan 2 13:54:09 CET 2006

has to sign off on ST80 changes?
with all changes from 3.0 to the beginning of 3.9
subject ] [ author ]

yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > So how do I find the team leader who does the
signing
>> > off on that?
>> >
>> Good question. I think this might be a nice task
for something like
<packageInfo>@squeak.org forwarding
>> to the appropriate email address. Come to think of
it, this might be
>> TSTTCPW.
>> > For the matter at hand, however, there´s no team
at the moment. So
>> you´ll have to take it up with the 3.9a release
team.

>Let me repeat myself a bit:
>
>For every Steward team there should be an SM package
with a PI field
>filled in, like the Network team has:
>	http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/network
>
>This makes sure we have enough info to map any piece
of code to actual
>developers and their emails!
>
>Code for this is in PackageInfo-Extras (Ned merged my
stuff which gives
>you extra menu choices in the changesorters into his
stuff) but I fear
>it got barfed a bit because it doesn't seem to work
properly, but the
>idea is to use PackageOrganizer to find the PI for a
piece of code and
>then find the SM package and developers/emails from
that.

>So if we pretend we have already figured out the PI
for the code at hand
>then we can:
>
>| package allDevs emails |
>package := SMSqueakMap default packageWithPI:
'Network'.
>allDevs := package maintainers copyWith: package
owner.

'm.rueger at acm.org'
>'goran at krampe.se')
>

>...or just use the newly added "feedbackEmail"
typically pointing to a
>list:
>(SMSqueakMap default packageWithPI: 'Network')
feedbackEmail

>...which gives:
>'network at lists.squeakfoundation.org'
>
>Anyway, I will try to get PackageInfo-Extras fixed
and included - it is
>a really nice extension to the changesorters to
enable "direct" feedback
>to the maintainers of fixes (it does changeset
splitting etc based on
>PIs).
>
>regards, Göran

has to sign off on ST80 changes?
with all changes from 3.0 to the beginning of 3.9
subject ] [ author ]

>More information about the Squeak-dev mailing list
>
>Squeak-dev list courtesy of The InternetOne and tric,
the new way