HTTP server choices?

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Jan 3 21:15:42 UTC 2006

Hi Andreas!

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Guys -
>
> Out of curiosity, what are the current options for running a web server
> in Squeak? Are all the current frameworks based on KOM or are there
> alternatives?

Swazoo is the major alternative AFAIK, but I haven't looked at it. I
think both Kom and Swazoo are being used in Seaside projects, but I am
guessing mostly Kom.

> If so, what are the tradeoffs? I'm basically looking for
> something that's small, simple to understand and extend and (hopefully)
> fast enough to be useful for more than a few dozen users.

Kom is pretty small and simple and performs quite impressively. Stephen
Pair rewrote the original code from Bolot quite a bit and the code is
IMHO quite clean - both KomServices and DynamicBindings are nice base
components.

I am mainly doing maintenance but I have done some profiling/tuning of
the code and there are a few places that can be improved quite a bit (I
have a few patches lined up) - but it already performs well enough for
most people. And I have done some stressing of Kom using "ab" (Apache
benchmark) and the numbers are really good.

And with the new FastSocketStream (standard in 3.9) I wrote it's even
faster - especially for some usage patterns (file upload being the prime
example, about 10 times faster).

But while I have a VM hacker reading - I would like to get a new
primitive for String searching or modify the existing one. The problem
is that I want to search inside a buffer from a start position to an end
position. But the primitive only takes a start position as argument and
searches to the end of the buffer.

> Thanks for any information you can provide!
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

regards, Göran