HTTP server choices?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jan 3 22:38:52 UTC 2006

goran at krampe.se wrote:
> Swazoo is the major alternative AFAIK, but I haven't looked at it. I
> think both Kom and Swazoo are being used in Seaside projects, but I am
> guessing mostly Kom.

Interesting. Are people actually using Swazoo in production settings? (I
thought Swazoo was more like one of those "let's do it from scratch and
do it Right(tm)" regardless of the realities out there ;-) But I'll
definitely check it out.

> Kom is pretty small and simple and performs quite impressively. Stephen
> Pair rewrote the original code from Bolot quite a bit and the code is
> IMHO quite clean - both KomServices and DynamicBindings are nice base
> components.

Is there anything that resembles (dare I say it?) the "D-word"[*] for
Kom? I *know* that I'll have to hack it and understanding where to start
would be invaluable. Any other sources of information?

[*] Which is documentation of course.

> And with the new FastSocketStream (standard in 3.9) I wrote it's even
> faster - especially for some usage patterns (file upload being the prime
> example, about 10 times faster).

And that would actually be a prime usage in certain situations. More
generally speaking, are there any established patterns of "embedding",
say, a Seaside app in the context of a larger site (which would probably
use Apache or something) for the purpose of better throughput?

> But while I have a VM hacker reading - I would like to get a new
> primitive for String searching or modify the existing one. The problem
> is that I want to search inside a buffer from a start position to an end
> position. But the primitive only takes a start position as argument and
> searches to the end of the buffer.

Well, what's so hard about it? Just make a new primitive to take the
extra argument and there you go (don't change the existing one -
primitives don't like messing with their number of args). Ask Tim to
include the new primitive in MiscPrimitivePlugin's translatedPrimitives
for the next VMMaker version and there's your ticket. And if you're
desparate just roll your own - e.g, copy MiscPrimitivePlugin to
MyPrimitivePlugin and change it to include just your new primitive.
Rinse and repeat ... err ... compile and link.

Cheers,
   - Andreas