HTTP server choices?

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Wed Jan 4 13:36:42 UTC 2006

goran at krampe.se wrote:

>I am mainly doing maintenance but I have done some profiling/tuning of
>the code and there are a few places that can be improved quite a bit (I
>have a few patches lined up) - but it already performs well enough for
>most people. And I have done some stressing of Kom using "ab" (Apache
>benchmark) and the numbers are really good.

I suspect that it is platform dependent.  Under Linux performance "out
of the box" really stinks.  This is particularly true for file serving
(Squeak's VM-blocking file I/O really gets in the way here) but response
times are sub-standard even for non-file based code.  I started to work
on improving things: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/539 but I have
since discovered easier ways to do the async I/O (using OSProcess) under
Linux.  I also feel that Linux could stand to have a "port" of the
threaded I/O model used in the Windows VM.  There are many significant
problems with the current AIO framework performance-wise under heavy loads.

David