HTTP server choices?

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Wed Jan 4 21:22:27 UTC 2006

Avi Bryant wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how does VW compare?

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/539

VW is relatively stable around 2-3 ms response time for servlets for my
example.   Note that by moving the polling frequency down to once every
ms you get Squeak's response times to be relatively equal to VW for
servlets.  If you use Async file I/O you get file serving performance on
par with VW as well.

It is also interesting to look at a break down of the time for the first
response and the total transfer time.  I haven't yet done that detailed
of an analysis but I have the tools and plan to do it.

I did a fair amount of benchmarking of an earlier WebToolkit version
(http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/CincomSmalltalkWiki/Web+Toolkit+Benchmarks-CDS)
but these are definitely out of date.

David