About squeak image compatibility (3.6/7/8)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Jan 8 19:06:01 UTC 2006

I don't think that one should expect the sort of backwards
compatibility that allows one to build software in a new version of
Squeak, making use of new and improved facilities, and then somehow
have it work in an older version. Sure, you could make a sub-package
of the new facilities used; but who do you expect to do that work and
why? What about the sub-sub-package to add the support for that new
class or two. And what about the next release - a different set of
add-ins for each previous release?

Surely you wouldn't expect a package written to use Morphic to simply
filein to a pre-Morphic image and work?

If we want Squeak to advance we have to sometimes accept that
previously written code will need reworking and reissuing. It's hard
enough to try to keep forward compatibility at a decent level.

tim
when people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each
other