About squeak image compatibility (3.6/7/8)

Samir Saidani saidani at squeakfr.org
Mon Jan 9 15:58:37 UTC 2006

Cees De Groot <cdegroot at gmail.com> writes:

> On 1/9/06, Samir Saidani <saidani at squeakfr.org> wrote:
>> Of course, they can say : "just enter into our team, you can
>> control too (with conditions I guess)", but I definitely put into
>> question all this story of control.
>
> Why? Have you tried it? There are large parts of the image "up for
> grabs" as there aren't any teams associated with it. How about your
> forming a team and *showing* how to do it?

You can not really show how to not control, it is only the
understanding that control is a kind of aggressiveness that will show
you. But anyway, see our previous post on "contributing" to smallwiki
I'm currently working on : all is open and there is no control, which
does not mean no reviewing. And things are designed to be reversible
if there is any problem. See
http://www.impara.de/pipermail/smallwiki/2005-October/002636.html

> I'm thinking that you are talking without knowing.
> Have you tried to join a team?

No because I don't subscribe to the idea of team, collaboration is
sufficient for me. It's like in a lab where people say : "in which
team are you ? algorithmics or AI ?" and I answer none of them,
because not separating things. Then they consider you as weird...

> Have you ever look at bug fixes that were not for your direct
> interest?

Yes.

> After these kinds of discussions I'm really wondering why I'm doing
> all that stuff.
>
> And I can tell you that this is not for power.

Stef, actually there is power because you have the power to stop us if
we want to include something directly on the core, but I never stop
you when you want to include something. So if there is real no
interest in power, give it up. Just continue to work as you like to
do, but do not stop the others, collaboration is sufficient. Power
introduces only a fragmentation between us.

Samir