Adding a new imediate type

Joerg Beekmann joerg at deepcovelabs.com
Mon Jan 9 17:41:10 UTC 2006

Bryce Kampjes wrote:

>Joerg Beekmann writes:
> > Can anyone comment on how much work would be involved in
> > 1) Adding a new 32bit field to the object header
> > 2) Adding a new immediate type like integer, presumable by adding
> > another tag bit.
>
>What are you trying to do?
>
>If you're trying to speed up object creation for a small frequently
>used object then writing a custom primitive to quickly create the
>object will be much easier. Squeak's general new primitive is very
>slow.  The next release of Exupery going to compile custom new
>primitives.
>
>While just speeding up object creation will still be several times
>slower than creating a immediate, it may be fast enough. With luck
>such a scheme will mean that garbage collection ends up taking most of
>the time in object creation heavy code.

In a nutshell I want to add persistance as a uniform attribute of all
objects. The on disk representation of an object will replace object
pointers with disk pointers. I want the additional imediate type and the
header extension to allow translation between representations without an
object table.

--
Joerg Beekmann
DeepCove Labs