Lost with Squeak development

Samuel Tardieu sam at rfc1149.net
Thu Jan 12 10:53:44 UTC 2006

Hi.

I am a Squeak lover who, unfortunately, doesn't have much time to give
to the project at this time. However, every once in a while, I try to
catch up and see what has changed and help at fixing bugs when I get
some spare time or when I just want to clear my mind from non-fun
tasks.

Today, I wanted to build an up-to-date Squeak environment for a
GNU/Linux platform. I will explain what I have tried (so that pointers
can be fixed if needed) and what failed. I may not have tried hard
enough to find some things, but I think there are missing
instructions/pointers anyway.

I started with http://www.squeak.org/Download/. From there, I could
not find the latest development image or any pointer to a recent
version.

I decided to start with an old 3.9a version I had around and update
it. However, it took ages to apply patches and I recalled having read
something about increasing socket performances in the VM, so I tried
to update my VM first.

By following the link on http://www.squeak.org/Download/, I landed
onto http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and extracted the latest version from
SVN from http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak, as directed.

In the platforms/unix ChangeLog I note that the last change seems to
have taken place in March 2005. So be it, let's assume that nothing
has changed in the VM since.

Running "make" yields an error about the "fptr" type not being
defined. I updated the platforms/unix/src32 directory with a fresh run
of the latest VMMaker available on SqueakMap, and get the same error.

Obviously, something is wrong here. I remember having seen the very
same error one year ago or so.

Anyone knowing what's going on?

  Sam
--