Lost with Squeak development

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:06:08 UTC 2006

On 12 Jan 2006 11:53:44 +0100, Samuel Tardieu <sam at rfc1149.net> wrote:
> I started with http://www.squeak.org/Download/. From there, I could
> not find the latest development image or any pointer to a recent
> version.

If you want to help out with 3.9a, then you need to follow the FTP
link on the download page. I think the website team doesn't want to
make this too obvious - 3.8 is the only version "out", and 3.9 is very
much in development. http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9alpha/ has the latest
images.

> By following the link on http://www.squeak.org/Download/, I landed
> onto http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and extracted the latest version from
> SVN from http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak, as directed.

What is your goal here? Test the build and download process or get a
VM working? Because in the latter case, I think you really should
stick with the published VM :).

I haven't attempted to build a VM in the last year or so, with
exception of the wxSqueak VM but that is a totally different build
environment (MSVC, yikes). So can't help you there.