Collaboration through XMLHttpRequest?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Jan 13 15:12:34 UTC 2006

Cees De Groot wrote:
> On 1/13/06, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
>
>>I strongly recommend you to use XMLHttpRequest indirectly through
>>prototype.js library
>
> Yup. The first thing I loaded after Seaside was Scriptaculous :-)

FYI: you don't need full Scriptaculous (>100K additional Javascript),
just Prototype library.

>>With Ajax.Updater you can send a form to server, get new form back and
>>update/replace old form element.
>
> I currently use the SeasideAsync #liveCallback: to update the
> in-server model on every keystroke. So now I'll see how to use
> Prototype to build a simple polling loop to update the webbrowser
> display from the in-server model...

I forgot to mention Ajax.PeriodicUpdater, which can be helpful too.

But for a while I'm playing with an idea, how to update part of web page
exactly when it's contents change. Currently we need to poll server to
check for a change.

Idea is to delay server's answer to Ajax.Updater until the content
actually changes on the server. Client would send Ajax request but
server would wait until there is something new to return back.

That way we can achieve something similar to a MVC change notification
from model back to UI as we are used on GUI apps.

JAnko