Collaboration through XMLHttpRequest?

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:27:44 UTC 2006

On 1/13/06, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
> FYI: you don't need full Scriptaculous (>100K additional Javascript),
> just Prototype library.

I know. But it's a proof-of-concept, and the quickest way to get
Prototype is just to load the Scriptaculous package from the Seaside
repository.

> Idea is to delay server's answer to Ajax.Updater until the content
> actually changes on the server. Client would send Ajax request but
> server would wait until there is something new to return back.

Yup. A pity that the idea doesn't seem to work due to locking issues.
The Prototype (or SeasideAsync for that matter - I've started with
that) asynchronous calls land in the same session as the "main" calls,
and only one call can be active in Seaside at any given time. I'll
probably load HV2 to take care of the asynchronous stuff because I
don't want to poll, that gives rise to all sorts of issues.

But apart from that issue, e.g. when polling, I've shown the customer
that the principle works, so I can invest some more time in setting up
something really good :)