Change sets, images and developing "stand-alone" apps

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Jan 13 23:18:36 UTC 2006

On 13 janv. 06, at 22:50, Rich wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Squeak/Smalltalk, so please forgive the newbie-ness
> of this question.
>
> If I understand what I've found online correctly, one can fileOut
> various elements that have been developed in the Squeak environment,
> changes such as classes in a particular category, or anything done
> while in a "project", and the changes will be written to a "change
> set", which is if I understand it correctly something like a diff
> against the image I started with.

Yes but I suggest you to have a look at Monticello to manage your code.
and squeaksource look inside http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
Teaching/CoursAnnecy/0506-AdvancedOOD/OOPAvance.pdf
there is simple description of MC and Squeaksource in the middle.
This is a much better way to manage your code.

Squeak 3.9 is managed with MC, and all big Squeak projects too:
Tweak, Seaside, Pier.....

> Here is my question:  Suppose I want to develop a web app using
> Seaside (this isn't really a Seaside question, mostly I just wanted an
> example of a production level application one would develop and want
> running independent of their development environment).  I write the
> app in a project in such a way that the code accesses/extends Seaside
> code, it's dependencies, and whatever is in the Base Squeak image, but
> I develop this app in a Squeak environment with the Full image loaded.
>  If I want to run my code independent of my development environment,
> could I load my project's change set into a Squeak environment that
> has the base image loaded, and launch the app from there?

sure!
You can even manage it via VNC...really cool.
Stef