Making a pluggable primitive - basic questions

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sun Jan 15 23:09:01 UTC 2006

Cowdery, Bob [UK] wrote:

>>Tim
>>Thanks for the pointers. There seems to be a problem with the swiki
>>but I will take a look when it's up. A few comments in-line.
>>

>>>bob,
>>>I am in NO WAY an expert here, but this helped me:
>>>http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/writingPlugins.html
>>>

>>>and this helps from the new blue book with this chapter:
>>>http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/squeakbook/uploads/greenberg.pdf
>>>

>Brad
>
>Thanks for the pointers. I was trying to follow your first ref which led
>me into trouble as it missed out some things like what to inherit from.
>The PDF however was useful and I have managed to create myself a 'C'
>file. Of course like everything it's out of data as it inherits from
>InterpreterPlugin not SmartSyntaxInterpreterPlugin and the method it
>uses, 'translate' no longer exists but I found 'translateInDirectory'
>seems to be the one to use. I guess having got my 'C' I now need to
>figure out how to build it. We is getting there though..
>
>Bob

oh yeah... I believe  TestInterpreterPlugin has been renamed
SmartSyntaxInterpreterPlugin.

Configuring and building the VM was the hardest thing for me to get
going. I first tried to build the whole VM before I tackled creating a
plugin. Then, when I got the VM process building down, I moved on to a
plugin. I took little steps. And.. I still ain't walking.