Good, thorough Smalltalk reference

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Mon Jan 16 03:21:47 UTC 2006

Rich wrote:

>So that I don't have to keep posting queries to this list like the one
>I just posted, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good,
>thorough Squeak/Smalltalk language reference.  So far searching online
>I've found alot of "The 5 minute intro to Smalltalk" type stuff, but
>as these intros becomes less helpful as I try to do more interesting
>stuff (after all, you can only add 2 numbers or filter a list so many
>times in the Workspace before the "coolness" wears off ;-).  Thanks
>alot.
>
>-Rich

Rich,

There are lots of good older books out there.  Keep in mind that the UI
(and classes) have changed since these books were written but if mastery
of the language is your chief goal have a look at one of these:

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

I read "Smalltalk by Example" when I was first getting started (with
VisualWorks) and it is a good overall Smalltalk book.  Not a reference
however.  I can't say that there really are any reference style
Smalltalk books, maybe the "Smalltalk-80" books come pretty close.  Once
you know the language (short time) and most of the basic classes (longer
time) you can explore the image to find what you need.  If you find a
class that you think will suit your needs then browse references to it
(alt-N or pick "References..." from the context menu).  If you find of
method of interest look at senders and implementers.  Sorry if this
seems obvious but most of us learn the parts of the system we need to
know as we go along...

David