Good, thorough Smalltalk reference

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jan 16 05:51:13 UTC 2006

> joshscholar at nightstudies.net wrote:
>> Me too. I've yet to find a good reference for all of the standard
>> classes.
>> I don't need or want tutorials, I just want a thorough reference.
It's not possible to have a 'thorough reference' other than the
system itself. As soon as you add, delete or edit a method - which of
course happens any time you load a package - it would be out of date
and no longer thorough.

A static bit of paper or pdf is essentially useless as soon as it is
written when referring to a dynamic system. You can, certainly, have
a fairly static description of the *language* Smalltalk since that
doesn't change much. It would be short and not terribly helpful much
of the time since you could memorize it in no time. A page or two at
most, about as long as a list of C precedence rules.

Almost any of the classic Smalltalk books on Stephan's site will have
a decent level of reasonable-reference material but it will be
incomplete for the Squeak system. Tough luck I'm afraid. Live with
it. The only plausible reference is the system as it exists while you
are examining it.  Any other way involves that quaint old-fashioned
idiocy so beloved of the java-weenies, C++ chumps and other dinosaurs
- sourcecode in files. I mean, what an idea. So last century.

What we can have, should have and pretty much don't have is decent
friggin' comments as to what classes are intended for, how they are
implemented and their limitations, along with comments in the code to
give some decent level of meaning. Comments in the system can be (but
usually aren't) kept up to date. Better yet we could develop tools to
replace the current browsers that make writing code more like writing
documentation that has the implementation included as it goes, what
my friend Dan Lanovaz refers to as a software book.  But then we'd
get complaints from the sort of plonkers that claim 'oh, my code is
so clearly written that it needs no comments'. Gits.

tim
Strange OpCodes: JUM: Jeer at User's Mistake