Seaside vx Ruby vs Ajax vx ?

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 19:05:24 UTC 2006

On Jan 16, 2006, at 10:24 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Speaking of Ruby, etc.... Ruby and AJAX are receiving more and more
> press these days. There was an article this weekend about Michael
> Arrington's site: TechCrunch (www.TechCrunch.com) entitled "Web
> 2.0." Ajax and Ruby were mentioned. Although it was a business
> article and not technical in nature, the press seems to be piling
> up for these two.
>
> From http://www.theopensourcery.com/ajaxdirections.htm I get a
> clearer overview of AJAX. Is there a FAQ on the plus/minus of
> Seaside over Ruby over AJAX? I think this has been discussed
> briefly here (see thread: "ajax...an idea to squeakize! and
> "LiveWeb") and this is informative: http://smallthought.com/avi/.
>
> Why should someone choose/not_choose Seaside over the buzz of today
> (Ruby or Ajax.) If there are clear advantages, or even specific
> advantages for web developers in certain situations, it would be
> nice to get the word out.

Seaside and AJAX are not mutually exclusive (nor are Ruby and AJAX).
The Scriptaculous package for Seaside makes use of the same
Javascript libraries that Ruby on Rails does (Prototype and
Script.aculo.us) to provide some AJAX support.  SeasideAsync is an
older package that does more or less the same thing (the usual
Smalltalk problem: we were doing it quietly before it was trendy - if
only the AJAX acronym had existed when I wrote http://
www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/avi/blogView?
showComments=true&entry=3268075684 then I would have known how to
hype it :).

As for Ruby on Rails vs. Seaside, that's been done a bit to death.
See, for example, my earlier post on the "Seaside/Ruby on Rails/.NET/
etc" thread.

Avi