Deferred updates/slow redraw on OS X

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 06:42:58 UTC 2006

I've complained occasionally about the state my images can get into
where there are frequent excruciating waits while each SystemWindow
redraws itself many times slower than normal - these are often
triggered by debuggers popping up but I also have images where just
opening a new browser window can sometimes set it off.  (See http://
macos.tuwien.ac.at:9009/482103917.asHtml for one discussion about the
problem).  I can now characterize it a little better, I think: what's
happening is that the deferred updates flag is getting set to false,
and yet the WorldState still has a canvas directly on the Display
form.  If I disable deferred updating, and nil out the canvas on
WorldState, then I'm pretty sure the problem goes away (and I don't
notice any particular change in UI responsiveness, though I realize
there must be some extra copying going on).

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Avi