What is SqueakRos (was Re: Good, thorough Smalltalk reference)

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jan 17 10:05:56 UTC 2006

Blake puso en su mail :

> I have to say, having visited the site, I'm not quite sure what SqueakRos
> is.
For the record.

SqueakRos begins in a bar, in front of UTN.

At the moment , about 12 persons, from both UTN and UAI (public and private
Universities here).

Begins when Martin Altobello send mail to list , similar to many what this
days I see (the one what starts these is one) and assemble the yahoo groups
site.

We agree on start trying to see how Morphic works.

I buy one copy of On to Smalltalk and one of the white book of Mark Guzdial
, via Amazon ( before Argentina goes off the civilized world).

So , hard times, people going to profitable things and some new people
discovering the bad , but only , tutorials in Spanish.

Eventually, I learn enough to support German Boccoleri and Emilio Oca in get
Squeak 3.4 on a iPaq 3600 (the start of SqueakLight).

Today, we managed to grow pass 100, have people of Spain and other Spanish
speaking countries, few non Spanish speaking.

And one Spanish swiki, with some pages of official swiki translated , and
some tutorials made.

Now I hosting several "experiments" on my Mac, open to any what wish.

I try as hard as could to improve myself, learning of many masters here and
spreading the word on people what never read or hear about Squeak.

This days , I could convince several young people on not to spend summer
only in going to river or whatever young's do.

We are recording our "lessons" and putting on the ftp (elpelotero)
And having a members blog, a SqueakLightChronicles blog, a ComSwiki 1.5 ,
etc.

Maybe I don't answer your questions.

But if you join, sure we have tons of fun for you, I see this list going too
boring, except good quotes of Tim and a long time none from Goran.

What I don't promise is  we could support you as I don't know what you do
with squeak.

Cheers.

Edgar