Good, thorough Smalltalk reference

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jan 17 20:14:00 UTC 2006

I agree entirely that good training material, tutorials and so on are
vauluable documentation. So is pre-implementation doc explaining what
the original intent was; I find it rather useful as a way to know
when I'm finished and can bill the customer for one thing.

However, the original post was about *references for the classes*.
That's a very different thing in a dynamic environment. I stand by my
assertion that such doc should be a part of the system, included in
the class and method sources. That *doesn't* mean it is the only
place you get to see it! A documentation browser that gathers
together all the class comments (reminder - we have this facility for
having a comment attached to a class. Maybe some people should try
writing some? Ever so helpful)  and related method comments (see
previous parenthetical remark) is not likely to be a tricky thing to
implement. Embarrassing, certainly, as we see how lacking and poor
most commentary is.

In fact, an image running somewhere with all (plausible) packages
installed and running some Seaside code could probably be a very good
reference doc server.  It might even allow adding new doc and queuing
it up for a quick review and release.

And don't forget that the comments attached to classes need not be a
mere few lines of text! We can format it nicely, include doits (even
click-on-me-do-its) for examples, have links to other classes and so on.

So. There's a few ideas to be getting on with. Come on, get moving!
It's your system, start improving it!

tim
Strange OpCodes: LD: Lose Device