so I downloaded the stable squeak for my OS X box...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jan 17 23:44:35 UTC 2006

Well depends if you want to build a unix version for os-x and are
comfortable with make files, or the os-x carbon version if you are
familiar with XCode.

For the XCode version you should be able to build the latest VM by
following the instructions in

platforms/Mac OS/Documentation/readme and loading the VMMaker
Published version: 3.8b5-64
Created: 28 December 2005 12:06:35 am

for the unix quartz version see
platforms/unix/README and README.SVN
Plus warnings about building from the squeakVMMaker38b4  tree with
VMMaker34b4.
Remember to load VMMaker 3.8b4 from the SqueakMap package loader.
Version:		3.8b4 (r9)
Created:		14 September 2005 8:03:37 pm

On 17-Jan-06, at 1:58 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Michael Kohout wrote:
>
>> and now, I'm trying to fiddle with the named primitive stuff.  I
>> understand that I need to have the source of the VM in order to do
>> this, but I'm confused.  What version of the source am I using?
>> Am I using the UNIX version?  A mac version?
>>
>> I checked out head from the subversion repository but setting up
>> the build environment seems mind boggling.  And confusing, since I
>> don't know what VM I'm using.
>>
>> woe is me and thanks for your help.
>
> I imagine you're using the MAC version, but I don't know much about
> the Mac version.
> In general, it can be a chore at first to set up and understand.
> There are very helpful people here, but you might first search this
> email archive as it's been discussed  before. Also check out the
> swiki. (see links on the main site: www.squeak.org)
>
> There's also a VM ml:
>
> To subscribe to the list, send a message to:
>   <vm-dev-subscribe at discuss.squeakfoundation.org>

===