The state of the Squeak community

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jan 19 13:31:12 UTC 2006

> He is arbitrarily cementing the rule that there is a release team
> that is free to completely ignore any opinions about what becomes
> the next Squeak release. This rule in itself is nonsense. Can this
> whole thing be called community with such a rule?
>
> In this special case of 3.9 Stephane tries to change the language
> according to his personal views. Does it make sense to shield him
> against any criticism by defining that he is free to completely
> ignore what others think?

Do you really think that if lot of people would not have been
enthousiastic about traits we would have ***work*** to integrate them
seamlessly and transparently?

> And there have been skeptical opinions from important persons of
> this community which is on the brink to break into two parts right
> now. One idea to solve this problem was to have a *small* core
> Squeak and building on that special distributions or "flavors".
> This way a contradiction between Traits and Tweak, which apparently
> exists - be it temporarily, practically or whatsoever, could be
> circumvented.

I do not understand why you want to oppose traits and tweak.
There is no such an opposition, after this is clear that there will
be some work (but the problem is not with traits)
to remove Morphic and use Tweak but we already said to andreas long
time ago that we are ready to help.

Apparently as usual you are talking but without knowing.

> We could have Squeak-Core and on top of that Squeak-Traits and
> Squeak-Tweak, which of course does not exclude a merge or
> redistribution at a later time.

Sure but not because of your contribution.

> Anyway, a little common sense should tell everyone that it is
> sensible to try a language change over a longer period of time than
> just a few month. This prolonged trial period and of course the
> freedom of choice would be served nicely by this release model.
>
> Well, my strong impression is, that Stephane tries to prohibit
> exactly this and Cees seems to support him.

The traits implementation has been available since lot of time. There
is an open mailing-list. You can check it.
We asked for beta tester. But as usual you are talking, talking
talking.....

I will not reply to you anymore because I'm busy and prefer to spend
my time on positive things.

Stef