John M McIntosh johnmci at
Thu Jan 19 18:26:50 UTC 2006

Well the entire Refactory movement came out of the Smalltalk
community so yes you are missing something.

There is a saying in the smalltalk community, "Use the source Luke",
mind in this case you can use the documentation.

PS yes we are also responsible for Agile programming, and Sunits
perhaps you know of them as JUnits? And hopefully you've looked at

On 18-Jan-06, at 7:15 PM, Nigel Thorne wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I have been using Resharper with C# for a long time and have come
> to rely on automated refactorings for rapid development. I have
> been fully aware that refactoring's origins are in the smalltalk
> community. I am therefore amazed that on first impressions the
> refactoring support in Squeak doesn't seem to be very extensive. I
> find this hard to believe, so I must be missing something..
> I have the refactoring browser installed and use it as my code
> editor. I have managed to rename classes and methods fine. I found
> a bug with 'extract local variable' but it mainly seems to work ok.
> Are there any shortcut key presses I can use rather than reverting
> to using the mouse to perform each of these refactorings?
> I feel that smalltalk has the potential to be my all time favorite
> development language, I just need to get my head around how to fly
> around the Squeak UI and use it as an IDE.
> Has anyone got any pointers?
> please forgive the new-bee questions. If there is a better place to
> ask these then please let me know.
> Thanks in advance.
> Nigel
> --
> Nigel Thorne
> Extreme Programmer & Coach

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at> 1-800-477-2659
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.