Evilness object oriented approach in Morph

Terry Raymond squeak-craft at cox.net
Mon Jan 23 12:06:15 UTC 2006

I disagree. :-) In the abstract sense one should not care if you are
accessing a state variable or a computed value. However, when you are
maintaining or reading code you have to know what is going on. In my
experience accessors slows down reading because you cannot assume every
message send that looks like an accessor is an accessor. This is not
too much of a problem for a class that has only a couple of ivars but
is a pain for classes that have several and some that are similar.
When you are reading a method and it uses direct ivar reference you
know without going further what it is doing.

If it is difficult to refactor from an ivar to a message send then the
tools need to be fixed. The same logic goes for using accessors because
it simpifies debugging. Make the tools serve you instead of the reverse.