nil in SuspendedDelays???

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jan 24 09:30:32 UTC 2006

Ah, well, all right. The trick isn't in fixing the old problem - the
trick is in avoiding the new problem. Moving the call to #wait inside
the ensured block certainly will fix the old problem of the semaphore
not being signaled when the process gets terminated at the wrong point
but how do you avoid the semaphore being signaled erranously because the
process gets aborted after entering the ensured block and *before* we
end up in #wait? (the same problem in reverse and just as bad)

The main trick here is that we really check for interrupts *after*
executing primitives (and not before or during) which means that because
(and only because!) wait is a primitive its call will not be interrupted
(this btw, is one of the reasons why message tally sometimes associates
a lot of time with a "wrong" primitive call - it cannot interrupt it
before the primitive is executed and therefore sees the "wrong" method
being run). Which means that if you were to change #wait to call a
method #primitiveWait it would no longer be safe (possible interruption
after the primitive check in #wait). It might be fun to try this out!

Hope this gets you the gist of it (it's really late here).

Cheers,
   - Andreas