Survey finally published etc

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 21:38:54 UTC 2006

On 1/24/06, Peter Crowther <Peter at ozzard.org> wrote:
> At the moment, I believe the proposal is to go for a very broad
> definition of representative community in order to get the process
> running.  If that becomes unpleasant, the team working on the
> election process* will probably have to narrow it down.

I'll chip in with some experience from the Jini community. Some safety
measures there were built in because the 'board' was built up from
three groups: Sun (as original contributor), Commercial Licensees, and
Individuals. Each group got three seats on the board.

Definition of the first two groups was clear, and then things got
stalled about defining the last group. In the end of the day, it was
decided just to go ahead by letting the group define itself - as with
Squeak, the community was mostly friendly, not a lot of trolls and
stuff, and it turned out to go well. As far as I know (I was only
running in the first election and left the community after my first
year on the board), this broad definition still holds up.

I think the Squeak community and the Debian user community are
entirely different beasts...

> * Which will itself have to be made 'legitimate' at some point in the
> near future, possibly by having its own set of elections.

Bootstrapping always makes my head spin :-)