Do you think that squeak is long overdue for a Refactoring only pass.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jan 25 10:10:33 UTC 2006

Peace Jerome wrote:
> And it seems to me that more thought must be given to
> the needs, desires, and motivation of the squeakland
> community. As I listen to what I hear on squeakdev I
> get the sense that they are "strangers" to us now. Why
> is this? How did it come about? Even if we are to go
> our separate ways we need to know why.

I'd say it's mostly because the Squeakland community is to 98% educators
and to 2% computer scientists. Squeak-dev is pretty much the other way
around. Most of the people who use Squeak in an educational setting
don't care about the tool - they care about the purpose that they apply
this tool for (education). Contrast this with Squeak-dev: Here, it's all
about the tool and hardly ever about what purpose it is applied to. And
yes, I think it's correct that for most people in the Squeakland
community the gobbly-gook that goes across on Squeak-dev is pretty
strange. So is, for many people here, the thought to discuss how and
where a Squeak-based curriculum relates to some state standard.

Cheers,
   - Andreas