Do you think that squeak is long overdue for a Refactoring only pass.

Wilkes Joiner wilkesjoiner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:27:21 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Peace Jerome <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Seeing a traits refactoring would be interesting as an
> experiment and risky to the development enviornment. I
> would like to have a good refactored smalltalk version
> to launch a traits refactoring from. The former won't
> slow down the latter it would probably make it easier
> and cleaner.

I agree whole heartedly.  That is one of the major reasons for
refactoring.  Well factored code is much easier to alter.  This will
also provide a great opportunity to get even more test into the
system.

> The crews to do the first refactoring and the second
> traits refactoring should be different. And I don't
> think the feature lovers of 3.9 should head the effort
> to just reorganize things. We have to find someone
> with the enthusiasm for that task.
>
> Ditto for the traits refactoring though I can hear the
> energy for that in the list already.

Yeah, there will be more excitement about the Traits work.  It's new
and "sexy."  However, the refactorings are more important IMO.  We
should include Traits and let people get a feel for how to use it in
the wild before it is used by the core classes.  That may just be my
own fear due to lack of understanding of or experience with Traits.

- Wilkes