Do you think that squeak is long overdue for a Refactoring only pass.

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:32:13 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Wilkes Joiner <wilkesjoiner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, there will be more excitement about the Traits work.  It's new
> and "sexy."  However, the refactorings are more important IMO.

Is is not an either/or. Traits is probably one of the most powerful
refactoring tools that has been added to the image. Look at the
original work, where (IIRC) Collections were refactored.

For the time being, until we find out what patterns make a priori
sense with Traits, I only see traits being introduce after the fact:
you're looking at some class structure that's getting ugly, then you
refactor stuff into one or more trants, and continue. If we don't
refactor existing code (especially code that is shouting, loudly,
"refactor me with Traits!"), we'll never learn the patterns.