Error while setting jpeg background from file (primitive failed)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jan 30 04:36:36 UTC 2006

On 29-Jan-06, at 10:58 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Fixing this will not be easy - if a VM change is required it means
> that older images will fail on newer VMs and vice versa.
Ah, well, not absolutely definite. It's tacky but one could make a vm
that works out the offset to the class name and uses a var from then
on. Assuming for example that the traitsComposition is in the place
where name was expected we could check for a byte array (implying
name, old image) against oop array (traits, new image). Very yucky
but functional and doable- had to do something of this sort in VW
once. Old vm would support old image, new vm would support either.
Old vm with new image would work kinda - as shown by the fact that
nobody had noticed this in all the traits development. And we never
claim total compatability in both directions.

tim
Useful random insult:- Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but
the train isn't coming.